Three Simple Steps to Create a Blended Learning Solution
I think we’d all agree that 2020 forced a lot of change to training solutions in a very quick and reactionary manner. Did anyone not convert hundreds of instructor-led training (ILT) to virtual ILT on the fly?
As we start 2021, it’s more important than ever to create and provide great learning to your employees. It’s also time, however, to step back and be thoughtful about how this happens so your employees develop new skills, improve their performance, and drive results for your organization.
It’s all about finding the right blend of solutions, such as a mix of job aids, e-learning, and ILT! Here are three simple steps to help you.
Step One: Consider Your Audience
First, you need to consider your audience. I mean things like age, education, reading level, experience… facts, if you will. You should also consider some of the critical aspects of Design Thinking:
- The context in which your audience operates
- Their frustrations, challenges, and pain points
- How they work
- Their feelings
Basically, you need to observe your audience, talk with them, and empathize with them!
Step Two: Craft Your Learning Objectives
Second, you need to craft your learning objectives. Ask yourself:
- What do learners need to learn?
- If you want to improve performance, how will you get people there?
- Do they need to learn to design a truck or paint a truck?
- Do they need to learn to list the characteristics of a good performance discussion or conduct a performance discussion?
These are all very different things. And you’ll most likely teach them very differently.
Step Three: Chunk It Up!
This step is where it starts to get a little analytical and frankly, a bit messy. To “chunk it up,” you need to:
- Select the best delivery method to address each learning objective
- Figure out the learning chunks
- Sequence the chunks
- Determine the duration of each chunk
Now, don’t you love this approach? It’s not really so hard!
With a new fresh year ahead, there’s no better time to revisit your learning and get to a great blend! Want to learn more? Check out the Innovative Learning Group webinar — Improving Employee Performance with a Great Blend.